Search vendors, read latest blogs, see real weddings pics, and know India's awesome wedding culture
Right after the marriage, the foremost thing for a couple is to get their marriage registered and acquire the marriage certificate.
For those who don't know, a marriage certificate is a statement by the government that two individuals are officially married under the Hindu Marriage Act 1955 or The Special Marriage Act 1954.
According to the Indian marriage conduct of conduct, there are two types of marriage acts prevailing:
The Hindu Marriage Act, 1955
This act is applicable when both the husband and wife are Hindus, Jains, Sikhs, or Buddhists or if one or both of them are converted to one of these religions.
The Special Marriage Act, 1954
This act is applicable when both the husband and wife are not Hindus, Jains, Sikhs, or Buddhists. In addition to that, couples who have already performed the rituals of marriage and are applying for the marriage later will fall in the category of the special Marriage act.
However, the principal problem among couples is they don't know how to get marriage certificate, or How to apply for marriage certificate offline and online.
In this handy guide on how to get marriage certificate, we are going to cover up all ins and outs of acquiring a marriage certificate in India without any fuss. Let's get started.
There are gargantuan reasons to acquire a marriage certificate. Some of the key reasons are:
1. It is essential while applying for a passport after the marriage with the changed surname.
2. A marriage certificate is quintessential when opening a new bank account with the changed surname.
3. Many embassies request for a marriage certificate for visa processing when you are planning to travel abroad.
4. A marriage certificate is also imperative when you are planning to shift abroad with the spouse after the wedding.
5. Marriage certificate enables a spouse in claiming the bank deposited money or the life insurance in case of the demise of one of the spouses.
To register your marriage, you have to visit the additional district magistrate office which lies in your Jurisdiction. You should visit the Sub-district magistrate office during the official hours only which are 9 to 9:30 A.M to 1 to 1:30 PM
Collating right documents is one of the most significant steps in the process of how to get marriage certificate. Below, we have mentioned numerous documents that are absolute requisite and must be self-attested and submitted by both husband and wife. The documents requirement are divided into 3 categories.
A. Marriage Proof
- Proof of Marriage Solemnization
B. Address & Identity Proof
- Voted Card/Aadhar Card (One or both of them)
- Passport or Visa (or)
- Driving License (or)
- Employee Id Card (If Working)
C. Age Proof
- Birth Certificate
- School or College Certificate
- Both husband and wife have to be present on the given date by the sub-district magistrate. Two witnesses are needed who have attended the wedding, one from groom side and one from the bride side. They must have the PAN card and residence proof.
- An application form has to be filled duly signed by both husband and wife.
- Meticulous verification of all the documents is carried by SDM and both parties are called for the registration on the scheduled day.
- The marriage certificate is issued on the same day.
- In case of special marriage, 30 days is issued by SDM which allows anyone associated with both parties to raise an objection on the wedding. The registration of marriage is done after 30 days if no objection is raised.
This is how a general marriage registration form looks like. You have to fill the details as per the given instructions.
Click here to see - Memorandum for Registration of Marriage
Once the sub-district magistrate approves the marriage, a couple receives a marriage registration certificate like the below mentioned one.
In case you can’t wait for more days getting the certificate. You can opt for “Tatkal Marriage Certificate”. This service gives you certificate in a single day. It was introduced by the Revenue Department of Delhi Government in April, 2014. Those who register under this service, they will be put on priority. In 24 hours marriage certificate is issued and you have to pay Rs. 10,000 as a fee.
You couple might be thinking perhaps what is the benefit of marriage certificate. Then we want to say don’t think about the benefits. Though there are. You must get your marriage certificate because it is the legal proof that you are married to some certain person.
- In the case of Hindu marriage act, a sum of 100Rs need to be deposited with the cashier, and the receipt must be attached with the application form.
- In the case of Special marriage act, a sum of 150Rs need to be deposited with the cashier, and the receipt must be attached with the application form.
Couples who are packed in hectic work schedule can also apply for marriage certification online via E-Mitra also known as commons service centers. Click here. Couples can download the memorandum for registration of marriage from the official website along with affidavit form.
1. Fill up the application form completely and attach the color photographs of both bride and groom.
2. Provide relevant details in the affidavit.
3. Visit your nearest e-Mitra center to submit the application form, affidavit, and other crucial documents.
4. After submitting documents and paying the amount, get a receipt from the common service center. Once your marriage certification application is approved, you will be notified via mail or text message. You can acquire the marriage certificate from the registrar office.
If you don't want to take the stress of visiting the e-Mitra center, you can also apply for marriage certification online by yourself. Follow the steps below to apply for the marriage certification online.
Step 1 - Open Official Website of Rajasthan Civil Registration System
Step 2 - Select public application form option at the home page
Step 3 - In the public application form, select the marriage form option. it will redirect you to the new page.
Select 4 - Opt the new application option, put the given code in the box and hit the go button.
Step 5 - Fill all the pivotal Details like marriage date, description of both bride and groom, location of marriage, etc.
Step 6 - Enter details of the groom, bride, and their family members. In addition to that, add a mobile number, e-mail address, and the permanent resident address.
Step7- Fill the details of bride and groom witnesses such as their mobile number, address, and photographs.
Step 8 - Applicant also need to enter ID proof, or Aadhar number, or Bhamashah number
Step 9 - Upload the combine photographs of the bride and groom
Step 10 - After feeding all the requisite details, verify mobile number by sending OTP.
Step 11 - Once the mobile number is verified, insert the shown code and hit the go button.
Step 12 - A slip will be generated along with the registration number that you can download and keep for the reference.
Once your application is verified by respected authority, your marriage certificate will be issued.
By Moneeca Moitra | 28 Aug, 2019
Shaadidukaan, a name in which you can trust and believe. We are one of the fastest growing online wedding markets where you can find the country's best wedding vendors in an instant. At Shaadidukaan, you can search and book a vast selection of wedding-related services like catering, photography, makeup, wedding planning from the verified & top-notch vendors at an affordable cost. Our ultimate goal is to make your wedding as memorable as possible that we do by offering you unrivaled wedding planning services. Now, your dream wedding will not be a dream anymore!.